Answers to Study Questions for Week Ten Day One
1. Who is “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF
HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH”?
Answer: “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH” is Rome.
2. How is the woman dressed?
Answer: The woman is dressed in purple and scarlet.
3. What is the meaning of purple?
Answer: Purple is a sign of imperial power.
4. What is the meaning of scarlet?
Answer: Scarlet [the color of blood] is a sign of death and violence.
5. What do these words of John indicate about the Roman Empire?
Answer: John’s words indicate a strong condemnation of the Roman
This lesson series is provided courtesy of
First United Methodist Church
of Miami, Florida